Sunday, December 16, 2007

Random musings

There now. The Microbiology exam is over. I have spent the last two days recovering from an intensive study/work life and trying to tie up loose ends from my other activities. So now I have finally cleaned my room. It was such a jungle here, I could hear the war cries of small dust mite tribes clashing in titanic clashes under the contiguous layer of my notes. The epic Battle of the Seminar booklet is one to be remembered for generations to come. Or at least it would have if I had not "accidentally" vacuumed all the war monuments. It was actually thanks to my classmates that my room resembles a human lodging and not the lair of some ancient beast. I thrive in my chaos, but had to clean up a bit when they came for studying.

I attended the Nobel prize lecture this year (as well as the two previous years, but then I was not blogging). The three laureates received a prize for a discovery made twenty years ago, and some of them have spent more than half a century in the lab. This is sort of discouraging. I mean I would like to have my prize sooner and not when I am on a good way to being a walking dead. Note to self: get Nobel prize before turning 50! After the lecture I had to rush off to the castle, where the Nobel lunch was held. I actually served the coolest guy, prof. Oliver Smithies (the announcer at BMC called him "Smithers", to the utter delight of all Simpons fans). Now I can show off with that. Go me!

It is a harsh and beautiful winter evening outside. The sky goes from pastel blue to green-yellowish, and the moon is already in its zenith, halfway to full moon. According to some, this is the best time for magic, when the night illumination is divided in half, representing the duality of human nature. The trees are stretching bare branches, awaiting the spring with a patience only a dendrite possesses. Here I am, quietly mediating, listening to Christmas carols and staring into a candle flame. Tomorrow will be another busy day, full of tasks that need to be done. But right now time has stopped and there is a whole eternity of delightful seconds to experience. Be well, everyone!

No comments: